LifeShield is a service with which setting up and using a VPN router will not give you any trouble, unlike other services where setting up a connection requires specific knowledge. Nevertheless, before deciding on the purchase of equipment and its connection, we suggest examining all the pros and cons of a VPN connection through a router.
Advantages of connecting a router with VPN
- Ability to work simultaneously on different devices. While VPN programs have to be configured separately on each device, setting up a connection directly on the router completely eliminates these inconveniences. By connecting to your router from any device, you automatically get unlimited access to the content you need.
- Compatible with different platforms. Most modern streaming services, such as Apple TV and Chromecast, cannot be protected individually. However, you can encrypt them by connecting to a router with a VPN configured.
- One setting is enough. You only need to configure the VPN connection once and in the future you will not have to configure the connection on each individual gadget.
- Always active VPN connection. In the case of VPN is directly on the device, you can forget to turn on the VPN or monitor its status and accidentally use an unsecured connection. When protecting the router, this problem is eliminated because the protected connection is always active.
- Protection from fraudsters. Often, especially in a block of flats, fraudulent neighbors use someone else's Wi-Fi for free, while the owner of the router may not even know about it, hoping for his password. Setting up a VPN on your router will prevent attackers from finding out your real IP address, even if they manage to hack your Internet connection.
- Always-on access to a VPN connection. You can choose one server for yourself and stay on it while your router is active
Disadvantages of using a VPN connection
- Falling of speed. A common problem faced by users of the Open VPN protocol. Moreover, the more users surf the Internet at the same time, the lower the data transfer rate is. To increase the speed of the Internet, you can manually turn off encryption for a while, or switch to PPTP, and resume VPN after data transfer.
- Complicated setup. This moment scares many users and for good reason, because setting up a VPN connection requires technical knowledge and clear understanding of the process. However, our service is convenient because the setting is automatic, including setting up the security system, which our competitors do not have.
- Not every router can set up a VPN. Some routers simply do not support a secure connection – consider this when choosing equipment
- Some routers have firmware vulnerable to hacking. Often, hardware manufacturers do not release updates regularly and it attracts attackers. Even a small flaw in the system, noticed by a hacker, will help them to hack your access point directly, and then no encryption will protect the data. However, our company regularly releases updates that protect the router from hacking.
What opportunities does a VPN router provide?
The routers that we provide to our clients have multiple routing, which allows you to instantly switch from one server to another. At the same time, the connection to another server occurs automatically, you do not need to configure it manually every time.
In addition, unlike other router models that allow saving settings for a maximum of two servers, MikroTik routers allow you to save data for 10-30 servers. By connecting our router, you can immediately make the necessary settings and provide a secure connection for all members of the local network.
In what situations you should connect a router with VPN:
Using a VPN router is a great way to protect the privacy from an unlimited number of users who connect their devices to one access point. For the most part, such a service is relevant for entrepreneurs who, due to the specifics of their activities, distribute the Internet to a large number of different devices.
For example, it can be a cafe, library, club or any other public place with its own Wi-Fi hotspot, which can be simultaneously used by several dozen visitors. If the owners of the establishment want to protect the confidentiality of the data of each of their clients, they can connect a VPN router, thereby excluding the attempts of hackers to get other people's data. Such a policy of the owner has a positive impact on the image of the establishment and attracts customers.
Another example is a small-seized business project with a limited budget that cannot afford the maintenance of a security department. In this case, the VPN connection will be a real salvation, and will be able to protect the data of the young company and ensure the privacy of all devices connected to the local network.
Where to buy and how to choose a VPN router?
After you have made a decision to purchase a VPN router, you have three options to choose from:
- Buy equipment with integrated VPN support, which will have to be additionally configured;
- To reflash a router that you have already had if it does not support VPN initially is a complex process that requires specific knowledge and skills in working with the software;
- Buy a router with the required firmware, such as MikroTik routers
The last option is the most optimal solution that will save your time, money and lead to the desired result, i.e. to reliable data protection. All that is required of you is to buy a MikroTik router in any store convenient for you and contact us, we will deal with the rest.